Sociology: Comparative Organisation and Labour Studies (MSc)
An education in the social sciences imparts a broad range of skills that easily translate into a multitude of careers.
The Master's programme in Comparative Organisation and Labour Studies prepares students for positions as (policy) researchers and advisers in
- International organisations
- Multinational companies
- European and national government bodies
- Trade unions and employers associations
- Independent journalism
- Research institutions for postgraduate research.
First jobs of COLS alumni obtained right after their graduation include:
- Recruitment Coordinator at Deloitte, United Kingdom
- Labour Relations Adviser, Department of Commerce, Perth Australia
- Brand Manager at Danone Nutricia Early Life Nutrition, the Netherlands
- HR Account Manager at Shell, the Netherlands
- Trade Union Secretary for Verdi (the German Trade Union Federation for Service Sector workers) in Stuttgart
- Strategy Consultant at Stratosfera by Deloitte, Warsaw, Poland
- Researcher at Statistics Netherlands (CBS)
- Senior Recruitment Coordinator at Deloitte, United Kingdom
- Researcher at The Netherlands Institute for Social Research (CPB)
- PhD trajectories funded by the Dutch National Science Foundation (NWO)
To support you in your career goals, the University offers a variety of resources:
GSSS Career Event
Twice a year the GSSS hosts a Career Event, where you can meet organisation representatives and alumni, and receive helpful tips and feedback about searching for a job as a graduate.
UvA Careers Centre (LAC)
The career advisers at the UvA Student Careers Centre can help students with information, workshops and individual vocational counselling to find out what you want, get insight into your capabilities and competencies, make choices and improve your application skills in order to achieve your goals.
With an increasing number of international students each year, the UvA is truly an international university. UvA graduates from all over the world find their way to interesting careers, whether in the Netherlands or abroad. The Student Careers Centre is specialised in advising international (non-Dutch) UvA graduates about job seeking in the international labour market.
Visit our Career Site
You will find more information about career support and career prospects on the Career Site Social Sciences.