International Development Studies (Research MSc)
An education in the social sciences will impart a broad range of skills that easily translate into a multitude of careers.
Graduates of the Research Master’s in International Development Studies will be qualified to apply for jobs in both the academic world and research-oriented institutions. The programme provides an excellent foundation for pursuing a PhD in relevant fields. It also prepares students for positions in applied or policy research in multinational organisations, research institutes, consultancy firms and governmental agencies.
Specific career examples from alumni of the Research Master’s programme International Development Studies are:
- Phd Position at Wageningen University, at CEDLA, at AISSR, at Hong Kong University and at University of Johannesburg
- Programme Officer at the Food and Agriculture Office in Rome
- Policy advisor for the Dutch Parliament (Labour Party)
- Social researcher for the Office for National Statistics in the UK
- Independent text writer
- Editor of the online journal The Broker
- Policy Researcher at the Policy and Evaluations Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Junior Project Assistant Educaids, Edukans
To support you in your career goals, the University offers a variety of resources:
GSSS Career Event
Twice a year the GSSS hosts a Career Event, where you can meet organisation representatives and alumni, and receive helpful tips and feedback about searching for a job as a graduate.
UvA Careers Centre (LAC)
The career advisers at the UvA Student Careers Centre can help students with information, workshops and individual vocational counselling to find out what you want, get insight into your capabilities and competencies, make choices and improve your application skills in order to achieve your goals.
With an increasing number of international students each year, the UvA is truly an international university. UvA graduates from all over the world find their way to interesting careers, whether in the Netherlands or abroad. The Student Careers Centre is specialised in advising international (non-Dutch) UvA graduates about job seeking in the international labour market.
Visit our Career Site
You will find more information about career support and career prospects on the Career Site Social Sciences.