Social Sciences (Research MSc)
An education in the social sciences will impart a broad range of skills that easily translate into a multitude of careers.
Graduates of this programme will be able to work in academic or non-academic research environments.
The programme provides a good foundation for PhD study, as well as for work in public research organisations and non-academic research institutions in the private sector. The Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research offers PhD programmes in the field of social sciences.
Specific career examples from alumni are:
- PhD-student and/or Assistant Professor (in a.o. Political Science, Sociology, Anthropology, Urban Studies, mainly at University of Amsterdam, but also at a.o. Erasmus University Rotterdam, Tilburg University, VU University Amsterdam, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid)
- Research Assistant, Dutch Scientific Council for Government Policy (WRR)
- Political Assistant to city senator, Amsterdam municipality
- Policy Advisor, Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Qualitative research consultant for opinion polling agency TNS NIPO
- Analyst at Accenture (consultancy, technology services, outsourcing)
To support you in your career goals, the University offers a variety of resources:
GSSS Career Event
Twice a year the GSSS hosts a Career Event, where you can meet organisation representatives and alumni, and receive helpful tips and feedback about searching for a job as a graduate.
UvA Careers Centre (LAC)
The career advisers at the UvA Student Careers Centre can help students with information, workshops and individual vocational counselling to find out what you want, get insight into your capabilities and competencies, make choices and improve your application skills in order to achieve your goals.
With an increasing number of international students each year, the UvA is truly an international university. UvA graduates from all over the world find their way to interesting careers, whether in the Netherlands or abroad. The Student Careers Centre is specialised in advising international (non-Dutch) UvA graduates about job seeking in the international labour market.
Visit our Career Site
You will find more information about career support and career prospects on the Career Site Social Sciences.