Alcohol, Drugs & Addiction
- 6 ECTS, 2 weeks
- Language of instruction
- Starts in
Minimum enrolled in an MA or
July 5 - 17, 2015
Sunday July 5, 2015
July 4 - 19, 2015 (Tentative)
|Dr Dennis McCarty|
|Application due date:||
April 1, 2015
€ 25 (Waived if submitted before 1 February)
Non-Credit € 1350
This two week Institute seeks to provide a multi disciplinary approach to the study of addiction. The course will focus on policy models, prevention, evidenced based treatment, and how they intersect. Bridging the gap between research and treatment practice and policy will also be highlighted throughout the course.
Corey Fitzgerald, alumnus 2013:
My overall assessment of my Summer Institute experience is that it far exceeded any addiction professional development program I have attended. The Institute provided an arena to study and discuss alcohol, drugs and addiction from an international perspective
Lifetime Achievement Award for Academic Director
Dr. Dennis McCarty has been awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Public Health Association (APHA) in the Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs Section.
Congratulations to our Academic Director! It is a well-deserved award as Dr. McCarty has worked tirelessly on bridging the gap between policy, practice, and research related to alcohol and drug abuse treatment and prevention.
To read more about Dr. McCarty and his award, please see the link below.
Substance abuse and its accompanying health and social problems are considered major problems around the world with tragic consequences for individuals, families and countries.
Addiction is not a new problem, but few countries have sufficient resources allocated to address it. Moreover the concept of addiction brings to the forefront social, medical and moral questions. The intertwined dynamics of health systems, economic considerations and moral (inter)national politics have a combined effect upon the prevention and treatment of addicts. Questions like these will be addressed in the Summer Institute on Addiction.
There is a dire need for exchange of empirical knowledge and theoretical insights into evidence based treatment in the international sector. The Summer Institute seeks to provide a multidisciplinary approach to the study of addiction and to promote opportunities for international networking among participants.
In previous years, the Summer Institute on Alcohol, Drugs and Addiction has been supported through a generous grant provided by ZonMw, The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development. ZonMw funds health research and stimulates use of the knowledge developed to help improve health and healthcare in the Netherlands. This includes research on addiction. The current program is a continuation of the program that was developed in collaboration with ZonMw.
In this Summer Institute professionals, graduate, and postgraduate students will:
- gain knowledge and insight in the different policy models
- gain knowledge and insight in evidence based treatment strategies
- will have been updated on the latest research developments in different disciplines
- gain insight into theories and concepts as they have been developed in the field of addiction studies
- gain insight into a multidisciplinary approach to various topics in the field of addiction studies
- gain knowledge of and insight into the complexity of (social) problems associated with addiction treatment
More alumni statements
• “The atmosphere of Amsterdam is great, the lecturers were very experienced and knew a lot about their topics, the field trips to coffee shops and PsyQ were one of a kind.”
• “I would absolutely recommend this program to others. You complete the program with a pragmatic understanding of addiction and resources that allow you to further explore and learn. The quality of lectures is impressive and I made life-long friendships.”